The LaMP studio is François Evans’s film music composition and production facility.
History… It began with a trip to the London Rock Shop in Camden, London in the 1980s to buy a synthesizer, soon supplemented with drum machine and ‘portastudio’ to make demos.
In the early 90s the studio expanded in Rickmansworth (SE England), with facilities to layer sounds and make orchestral music.
The studio moved to Hackney and thence to Barnet, North London, with bigger, faster computers. An interest in and love of older analogue synthesizers from the 1970s endured.
In 2013 the studio re-located to France, in an abandoned nursery school East of La Rochelle in South Vendée. The building dated from 1906, with a high-ceilinged classsroom, an oak floor and a warm acoustic, described by one visiting oboist as “a very nice atmosphere”.
A side room was adapted to become the composition cockpit. A 32-channel, British-designed Soundcraft DC2000 analogue mixing desk with flying faders was acquired, restored and installed for rich music mixes.
Today, tracks are recorded through two x Focusrite ISA428s or valve Ferrograph pre-amplifiers, for a glowing sound. The studio includes a growing collection of high-quality vintage microphones including makes such as Oktava and Reslo.
Software for making ‘spectral’ sound transformations in music is in its infancy. François likes to give time occasionally to incorporate sound morphing into music scores, in interesting new ways. This can melt music and ‘sound’ together.
A ‘best friend’ in the studio is a 1930s’ small, restored, art deco, Gaveau upright cabinet piano from 1936.
Using vintage technology is fun, but a responsibility to maintain. Many composers have opted for a minimalist studio of ‘desk, keyboard, computer, amp., speakers and DAW’. At LaMP, we favour quality over convenience. Like film actors, each piece of hardware participates with its own character, for a score that scores.